"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world" - Nelson Mandela

Mission Statement

The mission of Miss Vicky's Children's Education Fund is to finance the airfare from NYC to Cape Town, South Africa for at least one American teacher to donate his/her tutoring services each summer for several weeks to the children and mothers in Khayelitsha Township District "C" and to provide classroom instruction in the local public school to facilitate a learning environment focused on the improvement of overall literacy. Any additional funds raised will be used to establish a dedicated school library for "C" District. Eventually the hope is to provide each child with a school back pack filled with school supplies and their own reading book during the Holidays.

Friday, July 24, 2009

Hello from South Africa!

I made it safely and I have so much to write and only about 3 minutes. Internet is not what we are used to at home. Today was my first full day here and everyone has been incredibly welcoming. I went to the school today and met the Principal and children. I actually taught all 4 sections of the fourth grade! I'm helping them with their language and communication in English. They don't actually start learning English until the 4th grade so I'll be working in grades 4-7 while i'm here. The school's resources are so minimal. Kids don't even have pencils of their own. They break one pencil in half and then 2 kids share. It's so different from what I'm used to! I'm trying to excite the kids about reading and learning and they are quite curious. I've shared some pictures that were drawn by Richboro 4th graders and the children LOVED them! I will have many more stories to share as well as pictures. The community here doesn't have much, but they do have big hearts and open arms. The children are so sweet and I so look forward to seeing more of them next week!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Tanya,

I'm so proud of your heart for the children. It took a HUGE commitment on your part to undertake this journey. I'm sure God will bless all your efforts and you will return with some amazing experiences that you will cherish for a lifetime!

Blessings,

Uncle Mark