"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world" - Nelson Mandela

Mission Statement

The mission of Miss Vicky's Children's Education Fund is to finance the airfare from NYC to Cape Town, South Africa for at least one American teacher to donate his/her tutoring services each summer for several weeks to the children and mothers in Khayelitsha Township District "C" and to provide classroom instruction in the local public school to facilitate a learning environment focused on the improvement of overall literacy. Any additional funds raised will be used to establish a dedicated school library for "C" District. Eventually the hope is to provide each child with a school back pack filled with school supplies and their own reading book during the Holidays.

Saturday, August 1, 2009

Living in the township

Working with the children has been great so far! My life in the township has also been a very wonderful experience. Vicky and her family are so gracious and kind and have made me feel welcome from the beginning. I didn't know exactly what to expect and when I first arrived in the township, I was taken back by all of the shacks. Despite the poverty stricken area, I have learned the people are kind hearted and very community oriented. They share their time with each other as family, friends, and neighbors.

I have been treated quite nicely and people are curious about what I'm doing. When they find out that I'm working in the school, they are truly grateful and thank me. I do not feel unsafe and have gone on many walking tours around the township. The conditions vary. Some people have water and electricity while others do not. Many do not have bathrooms or plumbing. It's hard to imagine how a child can focus on education when their basic needs are barely met.

Despite the hardships, individuals seem to be happy. They laugh, sing, dance, spend time together and make the best of what they do have. There are local shops and craft markets and a lot of people travel to the city for work. I really feel as though I'm learning more about their culture and history and feel blessed to have such a warm environment to stay while I'm here. Vicky's children are adorable and I help tutor the younger ones at night. I feel like I'm part of their family. Life in the township has been quite positive so far!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I believe the "more stuff" people have - the more miserable they are. Our (American) society seems to be a race to see who can accumulate the most "toys" before they die. If they could only figure out a way to take their "stuff" with them.

I think my generation was much happier playing "kick-the-can" and tag with the neighbor kids than today's children. When you aren't preoccupied with all of today's gadgets, you get to develop relationships with others which can be more satisfying. I think that's what you have discovered in South Africa.

Please share your amazing experience and perspective in the classroom when you get back.

Blessings!

Uncle Mark